Written by Garrett Carey
Is your Business Intelligence strategy set up for success? After working extensively on Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, here are 7 strategic fundamentals to keep in mind:
1. Identify problem and business process to be improved – What is BI going to solve? How is success defined? What are the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)?
2. Provide a system designed and capable to support analysis and reporting – Performance, scalability, usability, and data accessibility are key elements to every successful BI project. Deploy a system that is designed for analysis, aggregation, and data consolidation.
3. Establish data definition, data representation, and data integration standards – This includes data definitions, table structures, data model, business rules, and data movement standards. Consistency reduces users’ confusion and builds trust in results.
4. Establish a plan for ensuring high quality data – Identify areas of concern, collect quality requirements, define quality rules, measure quality, continuously monitor, use tools to improve processes.
5. Provide platform for the delivery and presentation of actionable data – Different audiences have different needs. Reports and analyses need to be delivered to support all needs. The BI platform should include reports, dashboards, scorecards, data visualization, ad hoc capabilities and support mobility.
6. Incorporate the right kinds of analytics to address increased appetite for BI – Business and user requirements constantly change as will the desire for more actionable intelligence. Consider advanced analytics and be proactive to find new ways to help the business.
7. Continuously monitor key performance measures – Review KPIs and success measures identified in #1 above to determine whether or not objectives in your Business Intelligence strategy are being achieved. Focus on areas where improvements are increasing value to the business.
For more information about Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition or eVerge’s other business solutions, contact eVerge Group at our website www.evergegroup.com.
About the author: Garrett Carey is a Senior BI/EPM Solution Architect who has worked with eVerge Group since 2005.