Oracle introduced another great application called “Oracle BI Mobile App Designer (MAD)” in Release 18.104.22.168.1 of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (Oracle BI EE).
The Oracle BI Mobile App Designer (MAD) is a new design tool for business users to easily create stunning and interactive analytical applications for use on any major mobile device. With Oracle BI Mobile, businesses have been able to deploy full interactive dashboards with no additional development using Oracle BI Mobile HD on iOS devices. Now, you can create purpose-built mobile analytic applications for any smartphones and tablets with drag-and-drop simplicity using Oracle BI Mobile App Designer. BI Mobile App Designer complements BI Mobile HD and is packaged with Oracle BI Foundation Suite and the BI Mobile option to OBIEE. Some of the MAD highlights include:
Mobile-first Business Apps – BI Mobile App Designer is the ideal solution for users that want targeted, business-specific mobile apps that are easy and fast to build, require no programming expertise, and can be delivered to users across all the major mobile platforms and devices. Apps are built with support for touch and gestural interactions built in.
Intuitive App Design Interface – BI Mobile App Designer has a simple drag-and-drop interface that allows business users to select their data visualizations, including: tables, charts, navigation panels, repeating grids, images, text narrative, etc. These elements can then be dropped onto a palette to create mobile apps within minutes. Third-party plug-ins like Google Maps, Sunburst Visualizer, etc., can be incorporated and used in a similar manner. A preview function allows users to see their apps within a computer’s browser, or on a mobile device by scanning a QR code, without requiring any installation or configuration.
Portable Device, Platform, Screen-size Design – BI Mobile App Designer is certified to support iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile Smartphones and Tablets. Since it supports HTML5, most mobile browsers can run BI Mobile App Designer apps. No plug-in, installation, or download from a third-party app store, is required.
Enterprise Integration – Oracle BI Mobile App Designer is a part of and is fully integrated with the Oracle BI Foundation. Users can create mobile apps with enterprise data from the BI Semantic Layer (RPD), with data from BI Publisher data models, or Excel data files with seamless support for, and the benefits of, role-based data-level security that the Oracle BI Foundation suite provides.
Drag and Drop – The easiest way to create UI is to drag and drop. MAD has beautifully incorporated this feature where one can build the entire BI Mobile Application just by dragging and dropping components and data fields as required.
Interactive – MAD is based on the “gestural” principal of touch and swipe. As most mobile apps use this technology for interaction, MAD has followed suit to adapt gesture interactivity for all the components in its libraries.
App Library – Users can share their new mobile apps across organizations using the publish feature. They can subscribe to these apps and receive updates when changes are being propagated to their subscribed apps.
Security – As MAD is integrated with Oracle BI Foundation Suite, the BI content has proven enterprise level security and performance capabilities.
HTML5 – The complete BI Mobile Application Designer output is generated in HTML5 including the data visualization charts. It can run on any platform device or operating system without any glitches. MAD follows the philosophy of “Build once, distribute anywhere.”
A sample Mobile App Designer Screen:
The result in iPad:
Other features include…
- Supports drill down charts.
- MAD comes with a separate filter component.
- Multiple types of data visualization supported such as; Line, Bar, Area, Bubble, Pie, 3D graphs, Circular and Funnel.
- Simple tables as well as complex pivot tables can be built.
- Images can be added by uploading them, using the URL link, or inserting them from a database field.
- MAD’s greatest strength is its repeater components! (ex: Tile and Accordion.)
- Complex frame sets can be created by including frames for laying out the components to make them aesthetically appealing.
- Choice of many Black and White themes.
- MAD applications can be built using three types of data sources: subject area, data sources, and external excel files.
- Drag and drop feature of the data fields from data source into the visual components.
- Clean layout, perfectly aligned component sets and toolbars help in building complex dashboards using few clicks.
Limitations of MAD include…
- Have to build support dashboards for Mobile and Tablet devices
- Theme change effect is not being applied to all the properties of components (you can see the black text on chart labels in the black theme). These kinds of glitches can also be seen on the tables
- Backspace does not work
- Deleting a column from a table is not user friendly
- Cannot add columns if there is no space
How do you get this?
- BI Mobile App Designer is available now as a patch to Oracle Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition, version 22.214.171.124.1. (patch number 17220944 at support.oracle.com)
- BI Mobile App Designer is licensed at no extra charge with Oracle BI Foundation Suite and Oracle BI Mobile
eVerge Group is an Oracle Platinum Partner with extensive Oracle implementation experience in Oracle Business Intelligence. For more information about our business solutions, contact us at our website. http://www.evergegroup.com/contact.php
About the author: Garrett is Director of EPM Solutions who has worked with eVerge Group since 2005.